Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The three-toed sloth.
- ‘There are three-toed sloths, among which is the ai, and the two-toed sloths, among which is the unau.’
- ‘Three-toed sloths are also known as ai by the Guarani people of South America.’
- ‘The people of these areas call the 3-toed sloth "ai" after its shrill cry("ai-ai!").’
- ‘This was an ai or three-toed sloth. It was in the possession of a gentleman, who was collecting curiosities.’
- ‘The ai has a small head, tiny eyes and ears, and a small tail hidden in its fur.’
Early 17th century: from Tupi, imitative of its cry.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.