Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The three-toed sloth.
- ‘The people of these areas call the 3-toed sloth "ai" after its shrill cry("ai-ai!").’
- ‘The ai has a small head, tiny eyes and ears, and a small tail hidden in its fur.’
- ‘There are three-toed sloths, among which is the ai, and the two-toed sloths, among which is the unau.’
- ‘This was an ai or three-toed sloth. It was in the possession of a gentleman, who was collecting curiosities.’
- ‘Three-toed sloths are also known as ai by the Guarani people of South America.’
Early 17th century: from Tupi, imitative of its cry.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.