Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small silvery fish occurring only in the shallow waters around the Hawaiian islands, where it is a food fish.
- ‘Ryan Okino was fishing on the Puna Coast of the Big Island when he caught his state record aholehole.’
- ‘Rainclouds, rain, lush ferns, aholehole fish and certain types of seaweed revealed the god Lono.’
- ‘But currently at Hanauma Bay, the silvery aholehole swarm in the shallows all day, darting around human legs to catch free food.’
- ‘The fresh catch of the day is forever popular with visitors, especially the aholehole, or Hawaiian flagtail, a reef fish raised in island ponds.’
- ‘This pond is one to three feet deep and is used to grow aholehole and mullet.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.