One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
often treated as singular The science of soil management and crop production.
farm management, farming, agriculture, land management, agronomy, agribusiness, cultivation, tillageView synonyms
- ‘We eagerly converted more acres, tried more crops, and enthusiastically learned our way through the new agronomics and new beauracracy that organic certification brought.’
- ‘Probably the biggest benefit of variable-rate technology is that it lets us sell in terms of agronomics rather than just economics.’
- ‘At the meetings, agronomics and marketing take equal share of attention.’
- ‘Management companies take on the responsibility of marketing, accounting, human resources, agronomics and management through talented, trained people that a single course could not justify from an expense standpoint.’
- ‘Experienced farmers will blend science, agronomics, economics and field histories with that indefinable intuitive sense and then will decide which crop will do best this year.’
- ‘Agronomics and economics have been as important, if not more so, than politics when it comes to making corn decisions.’
- ‘Geology, geography, and agronomics all study the earth, but their construction, their principle of scientific knowledge differs.’
- ‘In that book, the protagonist is a professor of agronomics at the University of California.’
Mid 19th century: from French agronomique, from agronome ‘agriculturist’ (see agronomy) + -ics.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.