Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[often treated as singular] The science of soil management and crop production.
farm management, farming, agriculture, land management, Agronomy, agronomics, agribusiness, cultivation, tillageView synonyms
- ‘Probably the biggest benefit of variable-rate technology is that it lets us sell in terms of agronomics rather than just economics.’
- ‘Geology, geography, and agronomics all study the earth, but their construction, their principle of scientific knowledge differs.’
- ‘Management companies take on the responsibility of marketing, accounting, human resources, agronomics and management through talented, trained people that a single course could not justify from an expense standpoint.’
- ‘We eagerly converted more acres, tried more crops, and enthusiastically learned our way through the new agronomics and new beauracracy that organic certification brought.’
- ‘At the meetings, agronomics and marketing take equal share of attention.’
- ‘Experienced farmers will blend science, agronomics, economics and field histories with that indefinable intuitive sense and then will decide which crop will do best this year.’
- ‘Agronomics and economics have been as important, if not more so, than politics when it comes to making corn decisions.’
- ‘In that book, the protagonist is a professor of agronomics at the University of California.’
Mid 19th century: from French agronomique, from agronome agriculturist (see agronomy) + -ics.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.