Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An ecosystem on agricultural land.
- ‘Between 1930 and 1960, changes in agroecosystems, international markets, and Central American political conditions provoked a transformation of banana production processes.’
- ‘His research interests include impacts of animal manures and biosolids on soil nutrient cycling, especially nitrogen and phosphorus, and dynamics of soil microbial communities in agroecosystems and their relationships to soil quality.’
- ‘Pest adaptations to a particular agroecosystem provide a unique opportunity to observe both the process and the genetic architecture of selection response under conditions of natural selection.’
- ‘Core agroecosystem courses are team taught by faculty from more than one discipline to integrate material into a systems perspective.’
- ‘Overall, the content is marvelously interdisciplinary, reflecting the fact, however, that more research has been done in plant based agroecosystems than in animal systems.’
- ‘Students and faculty visited all host farms to learn about the diversity of agroecosystems in Pennsylvania.’
- ‘Most studies of the impact of bird predation on arthropods in agroecosystems have focused on particular pest species.’
- ‘It is one of the many promising new areas of research in organic agroecosystems.’
- ‘For example, the impacts of climate change on plant physiology and agroecosystem functioning may interact with soil degradation to decrease the yields of crops needed to feed a growing human population.’
- ‘Although plant interference is a complex process involving both removal and addition of substances to the common environment, it influences the productivity of all agroecosystems.’
- ‘The succeeding three chapters deal with the acquisition and metabolism of nitrogen by plants in the context of natural habitats, and of agroecosystems.’
- ‘Seeds of nine weed species common to California agroecosystems were collected between August 1994 and May 1996 at the University of California Research Station at the Riverside campus.’
- ‘Neotropical forests are rapidly being converted to agricultural land covers, increasing our need for information about the species that are able to use those agroecosystems.’
- ‘Such research also would be most relevant if carried out in habitats less removed from the system's evolutionary context than the California citrus agroecosystem.’
- ‘Vandermeer's alternative suggestion is to advocate implementation of practices that reverse these structures and treating agroecosystems as the ecological systems that they are.’
- ‘Pea, one of the most important legume crops in Europe, is an ideal candidate for restoring and maintaining soil fertility in polluted agroecosystems.’
- ‘Furthermore, the historic emphasis on specialized crop herbivores in simplified agroecosystems tends to overshadow the host use patterns of generalist herbivores in more complex settings.’
- ‘Consequently the science of ecology ought to be the science behind the engineering of ecosystems to become agroecosystems.’
- ‘Reinterpreting the export banana's past is important for plotting its future role in tropical agroecosystems.’
- ‘An intensive week-long experiential travel course for students to learn about agroecosystems through study of alternative farming systems has been conducted for six years in the Midwest.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.