Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
See agonizingas submodifier ‘agonizingly slow steps’
- ‘After an eternity of standing still, I gradually forced myself to turn away and take agonizingly slow steps back up to my room.’
- ‘I'd heard that it was agonisingly painful, but I just found it uncomfortable and embarrassing.’
- ‘The process has been painfully and agonizingly slow to the World Championship Title.’
- ‘It is quite possible that the first half of the film could feel agonizingly slow, only occasionally lit up by cheering details.’
- ‘It doesn't help that the most recent guy was already a slow typist, and just agonizingly slow with the left handed hunt-and peck.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.