Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Pasta squares stuffed with a variety of fillings, like small ravioli.
- ‘Pinch together the two sides of the pasta, then cut between the agnolotti and pinch together the sides as well, to create a sealed little pocket.’
- ‘I tasted the herb and chicken agnolotti pasta served with a mushroom sauce - only takes 10 minutes to prepare and great for busy people - flavoursome too!’
- ‘The agnolotti ($10, a kind of large ravioli), which was firm, filled with ricotta and served with a rose sauce, bore the slightly imperfect shape that indicates they were handmade.’
- ‘Add the agnolotti and saute until golden brown on one side.’
- ‘Warmly inviting pockets of veal agnolotti have a zealously hearty sauce of basil, peas, and Pecorino.’
- ‘The homemade agnolotti - La Tavola's take are round ravioli-type filled pasta, about four centimetres across - were lovely.’
- ‘Tuscan snobs will enjoy the savory agnolotti dumplings, stuffed with spinach and ground veal, and a steamy bowl of pici spaghetti, drenched in a buttery mushroom sauce and scented with rosemary and bits of black truffles.’
- ‘Spoon eight saffron agnolotti with fennel confit on the cauliflower.’
- ‘My agnolotti - outsized cheese-filled ravioli topped with parmesan shavings - were pleasant enough, but just didn't manage to get my tastebuds racing past first base.’
- ‘Both ravioli and agnolotti are normally accompanied by a sauce, such as tomato.’
- ‘Other, brawnier dishes stood up better to this kind of experimentation, notably the rack of lamb rubbed with marjoram and bits of citrus, which came with lemony-tasting agnolotti.’
- ‘Place agnolotti on baking sheet dusted with semolina and refrigerate until ready to use.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.