One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The age at which someone is considered able to manage their own affairs or take responsibility for their actions.
- ‘After attaining the age of discretion, each of the faithful is bound to confess serious sins at least once a year.’
- ‘Females were judged to have reached the age of discretion for purposes of bequeathing a personal estate at 12 years.’
- ‘Consequently the United States as a nation enjoys one of the world's widest ranges of ages for the conferral of confirmation: from the age of discretion to about the age of 16.’
- ‘It held that in the two cases before it, the girls had reached the age of discretion and had, of their own volition, accompanied men of their choice.’
- ‘When he arrives at the age of discretion, the child has the right in the church to receive both sacraments.’
- ‘The age of discretion comes individually, around seven years, when common bread can be distinguished from the Eucharistic bread, the true Body of Christ.’
- ‘He said your client had reached the age of discretion, Mr Toomey.’
- ‘The abuses which we are condemning are due to the fact that they who distinguished one age of discretion for Penance and another for the Eucharist did so in error.’
- ‘If any person arrived at the age of discretion profanely curse or swear or get drunk in public, he shall be fined by a justice one dollar for each offense.’
- ‘Church Canon Law states: ‘All the faithful who have reached the age of discretion are bound faithfully to confess their grave sins at lease once a year.’’
- ‘It changes the current temporary norm, which is to confirm children ordinarily between the age of discretion and about 18.’
- ‘The first case of the child of the age of discretion, under the Act that child cannot exercise that decision; it is a decision of the parent.’
- ‘Between 7 and 14, called the dubious age of discretion, the child is still presumed to be incapable, but the presumption is not conclusive.’
- ‘They selected an age range between the age of discretion and 16, to be determined by the diocesan bishop with respect to legitimate exceptions given in canon 891.’
- ‘The girls having reached the age of discretion, had, of their own volition, accompanied the men of their choice, the Bench said.’
- ‘The custom of the Latin rite makes ‘the age of discretion’ the reference point for receiving Confirmation.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.