Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The age at which a person's consent to sexual intercourse is valid in law.
coming of age, legal age, seniority, adulthood, manhood, womanhood, maturityView synonyms
- ‘But the fascinating aspect is the lifting of the gay age of consent.’
- ‘If the real issue is stopping teenagers from having sex, change the freaking age of consent and then prosecute them on that ridiculous basis.’
- ‘Homosexuals have the same age of consent as heterosexuals, yet divorce and contraception have only been freely available since 1995.’
- ‘He was accused of having unlawful sexual intercourse with the girl as she was under the age of consent at the time.’
- ‘Unless it raises the age of consent, it would be vastly hypocritical to deny such a payment to older teenagers.’
- ‘We need to reinforce the laws governing underage sex, carnal knowledge and the age of consent.’
- ‘In Tasmania and South Australia, the age of consent is 17 for all categories.’
- ‘It is further noted that equality of treatment in respect of the age of consent is now recognized by the great majority of member states of the Council of Europe.’
- ‘One has only to listen or read to any of the debates about an equal age of consent, or far more recently, the debate over the sale of the morning after pill from all pharmacies to realise this.’
- ‘One question, therefore, is whether the age should be reduced to 16, which is the general age of consent for heterosexual activity.’
- ‘However they do not mean it, as is demonstrated by their opposition to an equal age of consent.’
- ‘But, if, inevitably, they are then they may as well has access to the same level of contraceptive protection as anyone adult above the age of consent.’
- ‘Western Australia refused to lower the age of consent for homosexuals to match that of heterosexual adolescents.’
- ‘That view led Gorham to interpret the raising of the age of consent as an effort to constrain modern sexuality.’
- ‘The girl is 15 - three years over the age of consent for sexual intercourse but six years below the age of consent for marriage in England.’
- ‘Since 2001, the age of consent for gay sex between men has been 16.’
- ‘I would think, if I could think, that the age of reason is sometime much later than the age of consent.’
- ‘Two days after his arrest, the age of consent for homosexual sex was lowered to 16, bringing it into line with that for heterosexual sex.’
- ‘But he said he will not budge on the bill's requirement to report sexual activity by those under the age of consent.’
- ‘Well, I think it's a mistake to see the age of consent for such matters as purely a function of maturity.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.