One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A difference in age between people, especially as a potential source of misunderstanding.
- ‘Despite the age gap of precisely a half century - he and Bobby Robson were born on the same date 50 years apart - he was able to articulate how it was that the partnership gelled.’
- ‘Despite our age gap and wildly different backgrounds, the husband and I found common ground in the band.’
- ‘Morris's father had been 54 when Morris was born, and the age gap must have imprinted him, for he would not marry until he was 57.’
- ‘Leach recommends such a pragmatic approach: ‘Don't waste much worry on the ideal age gap.’
- ‘He couldn't care less about the vast age gap between us - in fact he loves me unconditionally whether or not I've got any slap on and whether or not I'm dressed to the nines.’
- ‘No sport can function without its adjudicators, referees or umpires, though usually, there's a significant age gap between those playing and those wielding the whistle.’
- ‘The difference in thinking caused by the age gap between the parents and children increased elderly people's loneliness.’
- ‘His father was a sailor from mainland China, doing long-haul runs to Asia on the Blue Funnel line, and the age gap between the children mirrors that between voyages.’
- ‘It's a family day spanning the age gap and the old fashioned ambience brings people back year after year.’
- ‘The younger prince remarked how it was a shame he and William never shared outdoor activities such as riding or fishing with their great-grandmother, because of the massive age gap.’
- ‘A girl of my acquaintance, cynical enough about Curtis's work, was watching a tape of the film, and the scene where they meet for the first time, and remarked that the age gap was too great.’
- ‘The age gap between the youngest and eldest member spanned a decade the day I attended, yet the camaraderie they shared was evident from the first drill I participated in.’
- ‘The age gap has been reduced to six to eight years and there are more foreign women marrying Shanghai men, another positive sign encouraging the registry office.’
- ‘The nine-year age gap was apparent from the start as Ferrero, who entered the world's top 10 for the first time on Monday, ran his opponent ragged.’
- ‘Books that appeal across the age gap can help bring the generations closer together, something any parent of a Potter fan who has read the Harry Potter books themselves will appreciate.’
- ‘There doesn't seem to be an age gap now (she might disagree of course!)’
- ‘‘Let me ask you this,’ he resumed calmly, ‘what other reservations do you have other than the age gap?’’
- ‘Why are we not willing to ignore conventionality and look beyond the age gap, seeking a more adventurous and spontaneous younger companion, one with more stamina and a sense of fun than an older counterpart?’
- ‘He was 24 when we met - the age gap was irrelevant as far as both of us were concerned (but not as far as his mother was concerned, I might add).’
- ‘Ironically, there is a large age gap between his offspring, with David, aged 30, and Amber, 29, followed by Alex at 15 and Sam at 14.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.