Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Suitable for a particular age or age group:‘some of her outfits should be more age-appropriate’‘age-appropriate games and activities include musical games, drawing, and building with bricks’
- ‘Age-appropriate indoor and outdoor activities will keep them happy and entertained throughout the day, and evening events and programs will be available for children ages 9 - 16.’
- ‘Give her age-appropriate restrictions on what she can do online, and set consequences if she violates the agreement.’
- ‘Each of Don's visits to his old flames - all played, for once, by age-appropriate actresses - is a perfectly wrought scene of emotional confusion and subtle regret.’
- ‘When planning your trip, be sure that the destination is age appropriate and engaging.’
- ‘Choosing the right film is a minefield; which ones are age appropriate?’
- ‘At the end, everyone is given cake, along with age-appropriate gift bags jammed with hats, mittens, books, and stuffed animals.’
- ‘Everyone's tired from running after their preschoolers, carpooling for early movement classes and planning age-appropriate birthday parties.’
- ‘Depending upon their maturity and reading level, many teens become interested in literature intended for adults, but you can guide them to more age-appropriate books.’
- ‘Though they now start teaching jazz at 8, they try to do it "in a tasteful, age-appropriate manner."’
- ‘Such requirements may prevent competitions from turning into beauty pageants and ensure that costumes are age-appropriate for the many young girls who take part.’
- ‘Are the books your children are reading age appropriate?’
- ‘Make sure that the toy is age appropriate - what is suitable for an older child may be unsafe for a younger child.’
- ‘Many morns can't find age-appropriate clothes on the racks.’
- ‘The dancer is 8 and should be performing to music that she can relate to and that is age appropriate.’
- ‘It's part of the rules: if the costumes are not age appropriate or there is offensive language in the music, we reflect it in the scores.’
- ‘When they first started performing in schools, they had to tweak their performances to make them age appropriate.’
- ‘A variety of age-appropriate exercises, games and community resources are offered to nurture a child's self-esteem as well as create empathy for all points of view.’
- ‘When working with middle school students, it is necessary to adapt these criteria so the language is age appropriate.’
- ‘Lawmakers in Washington State recently voted for age-appropriate, medically accurate sex education.’
- ‘Naturally you need to make sure that the books are age appropriate.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.