Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A substance which is the main constituent of agar and is used especially in gels for electrophoresis. It is a polysaccharide mainly containing galactose residues.
- ‘Its purity and integrity was assessed using agarose gel electrophoresis.’
- ‘Immobilization of large dextran molecules in agarose was achieved by electron beam irradiation.’
- ‘The vesicles filled with agarose gel and sucrose solution were diluted into an isoosmolar glucose solution.’
- ‘The material of choice is agarose, a carbohydrate polymer purified from a salt water algae.’
- ‘The intactness of RNA was monitored by agarose gel electrophoresis.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.