One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A lizard of the agama family ("Agamidae" ).
- ‘Draco volans, the ‘flying dragon’ lizard: A small arboreal agamid lizard that has elongate ribs that support the gliding membrane.’
- ‘What Macey's work suggests is that each of the various taxa of agamid lizards crossed the Tethys on different continental plates, like so many groups of immigrants arriving on crowded steamers.’
- ‘He makes few assumptions about higher-level lizard taxonomy and includes geckos, skinks and agamids among his ingroup taxa.’
- ‘In addition to iguanas, the Iguania include agamids, chameleons and a few lesser known groups.’
- ‘In agamids, the homologous muscle also functions to move the tongue forward, assisting the major tongue protractors.’
Relating to or denoting the agamids.
Late 19th century: from modern Latin Agamidae, from agama.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.