One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Illegal or unlawful.‘cockfighting has been against the law in South Carolina for 120 years’‘it was against the rules to leave the dormitory after midnight’
- ‘Unauthorised racing on the road is already against the law.’
- ‘To have a picture of the Dalai Lama is against the law.’
- ‘However, ethics aside, to force an employee to pay for a mistake, even one due to carelessness is against the law.’
- ‘Craig's arrest was second-rate entrapment for something that shouldn't be against the law in the first place.’
- ‘It's against the law for these children to be locked up.’
- ‘Using cruise control in Belgium is against the law.’
- ‘According to Help the Aged research, more than 80 % of us think age discrimination is already against the law.’
- ‘It may be against the common practice, not against the law.’
- ‘High Court judge Mr Justice Burton ruled in April this year that IR35 was not against the law.’
- ‘The question now is whether it was against the law.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.