One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
When one is unwilling or has refused.‘if any photos or information are included here against your wishes, please let me know and they will be removed immediately’
- ‘Gladstone a suffragette prisoner was fed, against her wishes, whilst on hunger strike.’
- ‘He was removed from Broadmoor high security psychiatric hospital against his wishes.’
- ‘Jacqui Smith had clashed with Mr Johnson over the departure of Sir Ian, who was ousted against her wishes.’
- ‘Her father, a noble magistrate in Grenoble, sent her, against her wishes, to become a nun.’
- ‘Mrs Wilson said her brother will now be cremated, against her wishes.’
- ‘I am not aware of anyone being made redundant against their wishes.’
- ‘Women do not necessarily grow to love the man they marry against their wishes.’
- ‘Strangely enough, I had to leave my close comrades-in-arms behind or send them, against their wishes, to distant places.’
- ‘She henceforth found herself in the vehicle against her wishes.’
- ‘We would not accept the Vatican (or anyone else) reburying our dearest against their wishes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.