One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Contrary to what one feels to be wise or sensible.‘he persuaded me against my better judgement to join him’
reluctantly, unwillingly, grudgingly, under protestView synonyms
- ‘I listened to the tape against my better judgment.’
- ‘I have just consented - against my better judgement - to allow my daughter to go on holiday abroad with a friend and her family.’
- ‘My wife Marilyn warned me not to do it, against my better judgement.’
- ‘I was on dog walking duty against my better judgement.’
- ‘So, against my better judgment and riddled with naivety, I said yes.’
- ‘I even posted the lyrics, against my better judgement…’
- ‘They are doing it against their better judgment.’
- ‘Much against my better judgement, I ventured out of my warm flat this morning to browse round the local shops.’
- ‘So, I gave it a try, against my better judgment, it has to be said.’
- ‘Despite this and against my better judgement, I said Lee could come round for a meal while I was out visiting my sister.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.