One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Contrary to what one feels to be wise or sensible.‘he persuaded me against my better judgement to join him’
reluctantly, unwillingly, grudgingly, under protestView synonyms
- ‘I was on dog walking duty against my better judgement.’
- ‘My wife Marilyn warned me not to do it, against my better judgement.’
- ‘Much against my better judgement, I ventured out of my warm flat this morning to browse round the local shops.’
- ‘I even posted the lyrics, against my better judgement…’
- ‘Despite this and against my better judgement, I said Lee could come round for a meal while I was out visiting my sister.’
- ‘They are doing it against their better judgment.’
- ‘I listened to the tape against my better judgment.’
- ‘I have just consented - against my better judgement - to allow my daughter to go on holiday abroad with a friend and her family.’
- ‘So, I gave it a try, against my better judgment, it has to be said.’
- ‘So, against my better judgment and riddled with naivety, I said yes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.