Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The title of the spiritual leader of the Nizari sect of Ismaili Muslims. The first Aga Khan was given his title in 1818 by the shah of Persia. The present (fourth) Aga Khan (Karim al-Hussain Shah, born 1936) inherited the title in 1957.
- ‘The three-year-old Gulch colt bred in Kentucky by his owner, The Aga Khan, won the race on Saturday.’
- ‘Over the four decades since the present Aga Khan became Imam, there have been major political and economic changes in most of these areas.’
- ‘It is the Nizari Ismaili community with Aga Khan as their Imam.’
- ‘Other clients include the Princes, and the Aga Khan.’
- ‘Throughout his life the Aga Khan has emphasised the view of Islam as a faith that teaches compassion and tolerance.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.