Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘the objective was to set the stage for cooperation among ag organizations’short for agricultural
- ‘A working breakfast is served for the sponsoring ag organizations on the State Fairgrounds.’
- ‘Our commodity groups, trade associations, councils and ag organizations have many connections and have had many successes in marketing our commodities worldwide.’
- ‘Additional information about the Young Ag Couples Conference is available from ag organizations.’
- ‘The letter was signed by 12 ag organizations before the negotiators took off for the trade meeting.’
- ‘We sent out a direct mailing and are building a list of Ag organizations.’
- short for agriculture
- ‘I studied Ag at High School over 20 years ago now, and I loved it.’
- ‘Do you think more people would go into ag if they were taught ag at school?’
- ‘The Agriculture Career Fair is an annual event attended by students studying ag related majors.’
- ‘He will be studying Ag at a local college.’
Used to express a range of emotions from irritation or grief to pleasure.‘ag man, there's nothing anyone can do’
- ‘Ag, I don't know, an expert should step in here.’
- ‘Ag, I dont know if Im just being soppy but whatever the case its refreshing to see love stories these days that are able to transcend the mainstream depictions of beautiful falsity.’
Afrikaans, from Dutch ach (see ach).
The chemical element silver.
From Latin argentum.
2Aktiengesellschaft, used in the names of German joint-stock companies.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.