One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounPlural aftosAustralian, NZ
Afternoon.‘we might find a nice beach and park ourselves on it this afto’
- ‘You are really hitting the spin this afto.’
- ‘He wants me to till one of the fields this afto.’
- ‘I want to get away early with the missiz this afto.’
- ‘What about that geography for this afto'. Do you know yours?’
- ‘I wanted to see if you fancied a meet up this afto.’
- ‘It wasn't far, so by late this afto we'd be there.’
- ‘Where you planning on going this afto?’
Early 20th century: abbreviation of afternoon + -o.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.