Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A taste remaining in the mouth after eating or drinking something:‘the wine had a bitter aftertaste’figurative ‘we concluded many exchanges in uneasy fashion, leaving behind a sour aftertaste’
- ‘Who wants to drink a shake that is tasteless, or one that leaves a chalky residue with a bitter aftertaste in your mouth?’
- ‘I take it at night because it tends to leave a funny aftertaste in the mouth.’
- ‘She sipped her cup of coffee, letting the strong flavor erase the foul aftertaste in her mouth.’
- ‘The strawberries were not visible, the chocolate not tasted at all, and the yogurt leaves a funny aftertaste.’
- ‘The gently sweet fruit complements the food to perfection while the clean aftertaste refreshes your palate for another mouthful of spicy food.’
- ‘It's made with slivers of carrot lightly marinated in mustard seed, garlic and vinegar, with a perfumed aftertaste.’
- ‘Low-carb foods often taste different or leave strange aftertastes.’
- ‘The heady aftertaste lingered just long enough for me to order another one to prolong the experience.’
- ‘This is a major negative point as it leaves something of a bitter aftertaste on the lips.’
- ‘Served with dark soy sauce and tangy ginger and fresh chili and lime sauces, the dish leaves a lingering aftertaste on the tongue.’
- ‘It has a sweet taste without a bitter aftertaste and contributes a relatively small number of calories when it is eaten.’
- ‘Those with reflux also may feel like food is coming back up into the mouth, leaving a bitter aftertaste of stomach acid.’
- ‘One tester thought it had a bitter aftertaste, another said it tasted of coffee.’
- ‘Frozen shrimp is spongy and dry in texture, with a bit of an aftertaste.’
- ‘Desperate to purge the aftertaste, I devoured the accompanying capers, but it didn't work.’
- ‘She chewed the last of the ration bar and cringed at the aftertaste it left in her mouth.’
- ‘Watermelon ice cream loses its taste after three days, and pineapple ice cream leaves a bitter aftertaste after seven days in storage.’
- ‘Drinking water after a snack will also help remove the aftertaste from your mouth and can help curb your desire for more.’
- ‘However, the unpleasant aftertaste prevented me from adding this recipe to my all-time favourites list.’
- ‘Experts have described is as possessing strong vanilla flavours in the nose and distinct notes of molasses in the aftertaste.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.