One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Choking gas left after an explosion of firedamp in a mine, rich in carbon monoxide.
- ‘They had managed to soak their shirts in water and breath through them to filter out the afterdamp.’
- ‘The ‘afterdamp’ occurring in such situations is a mixture of carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide.’
- ‘The afterdamp and smoke passed directly to the airshaft from the split of the ventilating current in the section.’
- ‘These men had survived the force of the explosion, but had succumbed to the effects of the afterdamp.’
- ‘As they had been almost completely destroyed it was impossible to enter owing to the afterdamp which prevailed.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.