One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A social gathering of players and others following a sports match.‘he admitted at the after-match function that he hadn't grounded the ball’
- ‘Players rightly tucked into the free food and drink with abandon at the after-match function.’
- ‘We're driving to the graveside while the rest of the masses indulge in canapés at the after-match function.’
- ‘The English Rugby Union president summed up the mood in the camp at the after-match function.’
- ‘In the after-match function, he impressed supporters when he took the microphone.’
- ‘The after-match function will be at a student bar on Hamilton's main drag.’
- ‘They lost to the Lions on Tuesday night before attending the after-match function.’
- ‘After-match functions and club nights provided the ideal introduction to alcohol in a family setting with strict rules to obey.’
- ‘The after-match function was a sight to behold - the interaction, mateship and team spirit between players from such different backgrounds typified the international bond and spirit that comes from playing rugby.’
- ‘Few of the predominantly Maori clubs have their own club facilities for after-match functions.’
- ‘Tension on the field is usually resolved over drinks at the after-match function.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.