One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A thick hairstyle consisting of very tight curls that sticks out all round the head, like the natural hair of some black people.
- ‘He went through a black radical period in his twenties, complete with a big Afro, he recounts matter-of-factly, but he grew out of it.’
- ‘For most of his adult life, he had worn it closely cropped, but several years ago decided to let it grow out into a woolly Afro.’
- ‘His Afro adds an entire foot to his height, and his thick, long eyelashes look like they're stuck together with tears.’
- ‘I had a natural Afro and at one point a scraggly beard.’
- ‘It wasn't far off an Afro; close enough, anyway, to get me into bother with the blatantly bald headmaster at my grammar school.’
- ‘I opened the card envelope and pulled out a picture of a young boy with a bushy Afro and glasses as thick as my fingers.’
- ‘He now has a pot belly while his Afro haircut of the 1980s has been replaced by a short-cropped style and his beard has gone from black to grey.’
- ‘He still had his signature haircut, the Afro, and he dropped his hands to his sides, walking toward me.’
- ‘The men's beards, be they puffy, pointy or kinky, provide visual balance to their outsize Afros.’
- ‘We're trying to grow our hair into Afros, but that part isn't working too well.’
- ‘For his costume, the District Court judge donned an orange prison jumpsuit, arm and leg shackles, an Afro wig and black face paint.’
- ‘The driver - a dark, podgy man with a thick Afro haircut - nodded and drove.’
- ‘His Afro hairstyle was not well combed or groomed.’
- ‘With his bushy Afro, kneepads and high, striped socks, Arizona's senior power forward is called old-school.’
- ‘Dressed in 1970s-style winter coats and wearing soft Afros, they smile for the camera.’
- ‘The trappings of black power, Afro clothing, and plaited hair have appeared and disappeared.’
- ‘He is about 5ft 10 ins tall, Afro-Caribbean with quite a large Afro hairstyle and is of a skinny build.’
- ‘His lips are full with a hint of a smile, his gaze intense, his visage emboldened by the tilt of his beret covering his Afro.’
- ‘He had short black Afro style hair and also spoke with a London accent.’
- ‘It was her mother who broke the deadlock and marched her over to the Beauty School to have the renowned stylists turn her straightish hair into an Afro.’
1930s: independent usage of Afro-, or an abbreviation of African.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.