One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A notifiable viral disease of horses, which is usually fatal. It is transmitted by biting insects and occurs chiefly in Africa, the Middle East, and the Mediterranean.
- ‘A new study finds camels highly resistant to hostile bacteria and to viral diseases such as foot-and-mouth disease and African horse sickness, and are unaffected by BSE.’
- ‘The prestigious annual Horse Show, for which 117 horses have been entered, is to go ahead this weekend despite an outbreak of African horse sickness in parts of the province.’
- ‘Jerry sprays her horse to protect it from the African horse sickness bedevilling the province.’
- ‘The outbreak of African horse sickness in this area is cause for concern but is not as severe as previous outbreaks, vets said.’
- ‘The deadly African horse sickness, which has restricted the movement of horses to South Africa in recent years, was a cause for concern when considering the stallion's future.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.