One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Denoting a thing or person previously mentioned.‘the aforenamed offences carry maximum penalties of 10 years' imprisonment’
previously mentioned, aforementioned, previously described, above, above-stated, foregoing, preceding, precedent, earlier, previous, same, selfsameView synonyms
- ‘Before the aforenamed lady could reply, Pero Carnero immediately approached, and he replied on her behalf.’
- ‘The day ended with the aforenamed chairman of Sunderland football club shelling out £8,000 on taxis so they could all go home.’
- ‘Nay, says the aforenamed author, if Hermes himself were now living together with subtle witted Geber and most profound Raimund Lullie, they would be accounted by our chemists not for philosophers, but rather for learners.’
- ‘The King and his son being busy in the aforenamed war, the wife and Lady of Count Gualtier died in the mean while.’
- ‘Among these aforenamed persons who thus submitted themselves certain there were, who, because they had been abjured before were now condemned for relapse, and had sentence read aginst them.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.