Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Denoting a thing or person previously mentioned.‘songs from the aforementioned album’
foregoing, previous, prior, former, precursory, earlier, above, above-mentioned, aforementioned, above-stated, above-named, antecedentView synonyms
- ‘As a result, the website of the aforementioned editor allows writers to vet the comments added to their blogs.’
- ‘The aforementioned rules may only be altered by the holder of the agreement.’
- ‘I would have expected a better showing from the two aforementioned players.’
- ‘On the aforementioned website, she has had lots of fun juxtaposing quotes from various features about her.’
- ‘Apart from the aforementioned health benefits, it has given his work an integrity that it did not need previously.’
- ‘Those wishing to be associated with this venture can contact either of the aforementioned.’
- ‘He started talking about it and within five seconds had given away the aforementioned spoiler.’
- ‘The water in the pond was crystal clear with only the aforementioned tadpoles swimming in the water.’
- ‘Quite apart from the aforementioned lovely inhabitants, the city itself is great.’
- ‘All of the aforementioned public representatives present addressed the meeting.’
- ‘Two possible options for the aforementioned solution spring to mind immediately.’
- ‘The aforementioned outdoor swimming pool and tennis courts are also available for the warmer months.’
- ‘But as well as all the aforementioned loveliness, there is a tinge of sadness.’
- ‘The aforementioned speech to the Falkland Islanders was delivered in January 1983.’
- ‘Of the aforementioned flaws, the one to effect the film most was the pace, which at times was a tad slow.’
- ‘These are bolted to the engine block and sealed with the aforementioned head gasket.’
- ‘Smoking is already banned in most of the places that people have to use, such as the aforementioned public transport.’
- ‘The similarity between the aforementioned lot is that we were all born on the same day!’
- ‘The aforementioned side enjoyed a good spell as the game moved into the last ten minutes of the first half.’
- ‘The aforementioned authors have all created a new language, so to speak.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.