Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of a class of toxic compounds produced by certain moulds found in food, which can cause liver damage and cancer.
- ‘Several varieties of the mould Aspergillus produce a group of carcinogens called aflatoxins, which cause liver injury and cancer.’
- ‘Excessive absorption of the naturally-occurring aflatoxin can lead to liver damage in the long term, said Food and Environmental Hygiene Department officials.’
- ‘One family of mycotoxins, the aflatoxins, are carcinogenic and immunotoxic and cause growth retardation in animals.’
- ‘The most potent human carcinogen known is the mycotoxin aflatoxin, and it is certainly not an artificial chemical.’
- ‘Staple foods in the developing world, particularly maize and groundnuts, are often contaminated with aflatoxins, metabolites of Aspergillus species.’
1960s: from elements of the modern Latin taxonomic name Aspergillus flavus + toxin.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.