One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
predicative On fire; burning.‘the whole mill was afire’
blazing, ablaze, burning, on fire, in flames, aflameView synonyms
- ‘White fumes rose from tear gas fired by the French, and black smoke billowed from a roadblock of burning metal drums set afire at the base gates by the loyalists.’
- ‘Crooked fingers of lightning nearly lit the sky afire, and the thunder crackled like shots from a cannon.’
- ‘My favorite Olympic torch lighting ceremony was in Barcelona, 1992, when an archer shot a flaming arrow over the altar to set it afire.’
- ‘And in the end, the gambling theater is exploded and set afire.’
- ‘The litter was dumped at a common site and set afire.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.