Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A tall hunting dog of a breed with long silky hair.→ Afghan
- ‘I asked him about his famously resplendent Afghan hound photographed in a designer corset-collar and white silk rose corsage.’
- ‘In addition to salukis, eligible breeds are whippets, greyhounds, Afghan hounds, borzois, Ibizan hounds, pharaoh hounds, Irish wolfhounds, and Scottish deerhounds.’
- ‘One of the puppies died soon after birth but the other, an Afghan hound named Snuppy, is still doing well after 16 weeks, the researchers say.’
- ‘Of the two cloned Afghan hound male puppies, one survived, the other suffered respiratory distress and succumbed to aspiration pneumonia at three weeks of age.’
- ‘She groups the dogs together according to their coats, so the longcoated breeds such as Afghan hounds, bearded collies and Yorkshire terriers are all together.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.