Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Explicit, informed, and voluntary agreement to participate in a sexual act.‘both parties must give affirmative consent before sex’
- ‘Replacing the old rules of "no means no" is a new norm of "yes means yes"—otherwise known as affirmative consent.’
- ‘Affirmative consent is a knowing, voluntary, and mutual decision among all participants to engage in sexual activity.’
- ‘An estimated 1,400 institutions of higher education now use some type of affirmative consent definition in their sexual assault policies.’
- ‘Among states that have introduced bills on affirmative consent are New Jersey, New Hampshire and Connecticut.’
- ‘The University at Albany junior had never even heard of affirmative consent, the unequivocal OK to sex that is mandated by state law.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.