Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a subsidiary group or a person) officially attached or connected to an organization.‘affiliated union members’‘Microsoft and its affiliated companies’
- ‘The University Medical Center is a 528-bed, teaching, inner-city hospital affiliated with the University of Florida.’
- ‘The University Medical Center is a 528-bed, teaching inner-city hospital affiliated with the University of Florida.’
- ‘The website also will attempt to get affiliated to Maharashtra Board schools.’
- ‘He in currently doing post-graduate clinical training at the affiliated hospital.’
- ‘Department of Commerce records show at least 48 businesses affiliated with the Kingston family.’
- ‘Most of the U. S. personnel based in London are affiliated with the Navy.’
- ‘Our 110 affiliated labor organizations are sending you a modest contribution of $500 to help make this conference possible.’
- ‘The university has trained about 1,500 teachers belonging to its affiliated colleges.’
- ‘The umbrella group, Exodus International has about 150 groups affiliated worldwide.’
- ‘No, I don't want to be affiliated with anyone.’
- ‘At the time, Meade was director of a successful research park affiliated with Virginia Tech.’
- ‘India was also the first Asian country to be affiliated to the International Olympic Committee.’
- ‘To book accommodation, you'll either need to be a member of the YHA, or belong to an organisation affiliated to Hostelling International.’
- ‘The clinic, with more than 300 physicians, is affiliated with St. Luke's Hospital.’
- ‘For players over 19 years of age, the United States Amateur Soccer Association (USASA) offers local clubs affiliated with leagues.’
- ‘The only high-performing Providence school is a largely white, middle-class magnet school affiliated with Brown University.’
- ‘In the process of being established, the 26 member County Development Board will be owned by the different organisations affiliated to the board.’
- ‘Just over half of U. S. mosques were affiliated with a Muslim organization in 2000.’
- ‘The site also includes a reading list selected by affiliated faculty.’
- ‘He fell away from Reform Judaism, the religious stream with which his family had long been affiliated.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.