Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a subsidiary group or a person) officially attached or connected to an organization:‘affiliated union members’‘Microsoft and its affiliated companies’
- ‘Most of the U. S. personnel based in London are affiliated with the Navy.’
- ‘For players over 19 years of age, the United States Amateur Soccer Association (USASA) offers local clubs affiliated with leagues.’
- ‘At the time, Meade was director of a successful research park affiliated with Virginia Tech.’
- ‘He fell away from Reform Judaism, the religious stream with which his family had long been affiliated.’
- ‘The only high-performing Providence school is a largely white, middle-class magnet school affiliated with Brown University.’
- ‘Our 110 affiliated labor organizations are sending you a modest contribution of $500 to help make this conference possible.’
- ‘The University Medical Center is a 528-bed, teaching inner-city hospital affiliated with the University of Florida.’
- ‘The University Medical Center is a 528-bed, teaching, inner-city hospital affiliated with the University of Florida.’
- ‘Just over half of U. S. mosques were affiliated with a Muslim organization in 2000.’
- ‘He in currently doing post-graduate clinical training at the affiliated hospital.’
- ‘The umbrella group, Exodus International has about 150 groups affiliated worldwide.’
- ‘The university has trained about 1,500 teachers belonging to its affiliated colleges.’
- ‘India was also the first Asian country to be affiliated to the International Olympic Committee.’
- ‘Department of Commerce records show at least 48 businesses affiliated with the Kingston family.’
- ‘The website also will attempt to get affiliated to Maharashtra Board schools.’
- ‘No, I don't want to be affiliated with anyone.’
- ‘The clinic, with more than 300 physicians, is affiliated with St. Luke's Hospital.’
- ‘The site also includes a reading list selected by affiliated faculty.’
- ‘In the process of being established, the 26 member County Development Board will be owned by the different organisations affiliated to the board.’
- ‘To book accommodation, you'll either need to be a member of the YHA, or belong to an organisation affiliated to Hostelling International.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.