One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A written statement confirmed by oath or affirmation, for use as evidence in court.‘a former employee swore an affidavit relating to his claim for unfair dismissal’
testimony, statement, sworn statement, attestation, declaration, avowal, plea, submission, claim, contention, charge, allegationView synonyms
- ‘The appellant's solicitor swore an affidavit as to why the witnesses were not called at the trial.’
- ‘Put another way, it is the content of his affidavit or statement which determines the assertion.’
- ‘When carrying out the enquiry the Court acts upon affidavits rather than oral evidence.’
- ‘Would you read onto the record the affidavits that contain the evidentiary material that is before us?’
- ‘Although late in delivering the affidavits of documents the affidavits have now been delivered.’
Mid 16th century: from medieval Latin, literally ‘he has stated on oath’, from affidare.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.