Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘Most of these meetings are overcrowded, while the candidates affectedly brag about exceeded expectations.’
- ‘I have met, I believe, the two most affectedly camp people in the country, and I have the mental scars to prove it.’
- ‘The rest of the night proceeds, while the ladies chat and gush with the men, quite loudly and affectedly.’
- ‘In the first film she also fell foul of the normally amiable actor, who found her affectedly standoffish.’
- ‘The actress sometimes rattles on at tongue-twister speed, sometimes becomes affectedly histrionic.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.