One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A love affair.
relationship, love affair, romance, fling, flirtation, dalliance, liaison, entanglement, romantic entanglement, involvement, attachment, affair of the heart, intrigueView synonyms
- ‘In Libya, people put ice in their drinks, had houseboys and conducted affaires.’
- ‘Well, at least I keep my private affaires to myself mostly.’
- ‘I tried to act utterly cool and nonplussed by the whole affaire de Madamoiselle A.’
Early 19th century: French, literally ‘affair (of the heart)’.
- ‘Much later he passed again and casually left a loaf of bread inside the barn door, stayed not for idle gossip but briskly, looking very "affairé", disappeared around the corner.’
- ‘These pressures of one thing and another make me feel very affairé. I cannot imagine myself looking at Christmas shops.’
French, from affaire, from à ‘to’ + faire ‘do’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.