One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The quality of being affable; geniality.‘an air of benign affability’
friendliness, amiability, geniality, congeniality, cordiality, warmth, warmness, pleasantness, niceness, charm, agreeableness, good humour, good nature, kindliness, kindness, courtesy, courteousness, civility, graciousness, approachability, approachableness, accessibility, amenability, sociability, gregariousness, conviviality, clubbability, neighbourliness, hospitable manner, obliging nature, easy-going manner, informality, lack of reserve, naturalness, relaxedness, ease, easinessView synonyms
- ‘He was a brilliant attorney with a self-effacing kindness and affability unlike any I have ever seen.’
- ‘But affability, like intelligence, can mask a mean and meager spirit as well as the absence of a sense of proportion.’
- ‘Perhaps his ability to weather the ebb and flow of public fickleness lies in his sheer affability and generosity of spirit.’
- ‘The virtue of justice comes wrapped in other tempering traits: gratitude, liberality, affability, and mercy.’
- ‘But affability alone does not guarantee success.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.