Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A tall West African hardwood tree with a characteristic shape resembling a pagoda.Also called limba
- ‘The tree crops planted in Nigeria are Gmelina arborea, teak, opepe, and white afara.’
- ‘The parenchyma in this species is much less visible than in Afara but otherwise they are very similar in structure.’
- ‘Afara may he affected by "heart rot'', which affects the quality of its wood.’
- ‘Afara splits very readily and takes glue, stain and polish well.’
- ‘You might not have heard of the West African tree called limba (also widely known as afara and korina).’
1920s: from Yoruba.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.