One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
At or to a distance.‘for months he had loved her from afar’
far away, far off, afarView synonyms
- ‘I'd intended to be mature and sedate and demure and just wistfully watch the young guests from afar.’
- ‘We drove fast, in case they thought to pull out their six-guns and drill us from afar.’
- ‘Those who had travelled from afar were allowed to carry home their treasures.’
- ‘This year's cabaret is a bitter-sweet affair, revolving around songs of romance on the run and love from afar.’
- ‘There are flags flying - the Palace has a big standard visible from afar.’
Middle English of feor ‘from far’.
1A member of a people living in Djibouti, Eritrea, and Ethiopia.Also called Danakil
- ‘Moreover, beginning in 1991, tensions between Afars and the Issa-dominated government resulted in an Afar rebellion.’
- ‘When I asked the Afar about this they denied they ever did such things - they said it was done in Somalia.’
- ‘The Afars are mostly nomadic pastoralists whose grazing area extends from eastern and southern Eritrea into Ethiopia.’
- ‘The Afar also suffer from kidney stones, a consequence of not drinking enough water.’
- ‘There are two major ethnic groups in Djibouti, the Afars (sometimes also called the Danakil) and the Somalis.’
2mass noun The Cushitic language of the Afar, with about 700,000 speakers.
- ‘The six islands are named in Arabic, in the local Afar language, and in French.’
- ‘The subspecies name idaltu comes from the Afar language of Ethiopia.’
- ‘Most Afar-speaking people are found in Ethiopia.’
- ‘There are television and radio broadcasts in the French, Afar, Somali, and Arabic languages.’
- ‘Ardipithecus means ‘root ape’ in the Afar language.’
Relating to the Afar or their language.
- ‘There are one or two hotels in town, and you can see several traditional Afar huts around town.’
- ‘Ethiopian officials warned yesterday of an impending tragedy in the drought-stricken Afar region.’
- ‘Today, the region is the home of the semi-nomadic Afar people.’
- ‘The chamber of deputies consisted of 33 Issa representatives, and 32 Deputies of the Afar people.’
- ‘Bribing his way by caravan over the wastelands of the Afar province, he is not amused by the locals.’
From Afar qafar.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.