Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A structure with curved surfaces designed to give the most favourable ratio of lift to drag in flight, used as the basic form of the wings, fins, and tailplanes of most aircraft.→ airfoil
- ‘Leonardo later realized the inadequacy of the power a man could generate and turned his attention to aerofoils.’
- ‘The crimping does not show in the aerofoil - at all.’
- ‘This is an admirable compendium of the mathematical theories of the aerodynamics of aerofoils and wings.’
- ‘As you move forward, the wing inflates into an aerofoil section above your head.’
- ‘It features three large aerofoil shaped stainless steel pillars rising to a height of 3m.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.