One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Cause a spacecraft to slow down by flying through a planet's rarefied atmosphere to produce aerodynamic drag.‘they were going to be aerobraking to reduce speed’
- ‘Odyssey used the same dips into the atmosphere, known as aerobraking, to shape its orbit during the initial months after it reached Mars.’
- ‘If the planet has an atmosphere, it can be used for aerobraking to slow down the spacecraft, and this has been done at Mars.’
- ‘While there are a number of other missions that have successfully aerobraked into more circular and less elliptical orbits, the maneuver is never a cakewalk.’
- ‘Martian orbiters can use aerobraking to reduce the amount of propellant they need.’
- ‘Flight controllers also tested a new maneuvering technique called aerobraking, which uses a planet's atmosphere to slow a spacecraft.’
A mechanism for aerobraking.
- ‘The aerobrake - a huge, convex disc underneath the spacecraft - was producing friction with the Martian atmosphere.’
- ‘The cargo lander would include an aerobrake heat shield and a nuclear reactor on a robot truck.’
- ‘They dive through the sun's corona at one point, and aerobrake into orbit around Jupiter.’
- ‘Emphasis was placed on validating the performance of the aerobrake subsystem.’
- ‘The aerobrake was of identical geometry and construction as the MEV aerobrake, but was stronger and heavier.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.