One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
usually treated as singular Loops, rolls, and other feats of spectacular flying performed in one or more aircraft to entertain an audience on the ground.
- ‘This was to be a show, but also a cadet competition in short field landings, simulated forced landings, instrument flying and aerobatics.’
- ‘Andersson had created a compact single-seater that would go on to dominate world aerobatics for years to come.’
- ‘Now even more airshow fans will be able to see the precision aerobatics.’
- ‘Student pilots learn aerobatics, formation, night and instrument flying and cross-country navigation.’
- ‘We learned to takeoff, land, spin, stall, perform precision turns, lazy eights, pylon eights and aerobatics.’
- ‘And while it's a sturdy training aircraft, it also has a deserved reputation for aerobatics - it can perform a 360° roll in just two seconds.’
- ‘Holding a doctorate degree from MIT, he also had pioneered instrument flying and precision aerobatics.’
- ‘This became an opportunity to attempt unauthorized aerobatics away from the eyes of an instructor.’
- ‘It had excellent performance at height and could still perform aerobatics at 5000m.’
- ‘As an avid aerobatic pilot, Paul pushes the airplane into some very basic, very gentle aerobatics.’
- ‘Hume and I went out to practice some aerobatics.’
- ‘A member of the US Aerobatic Team, Bob also enjoys competition aerobatics.’
- ‘All aerobatics, spins and banks in excess of 60 degrees are prohibited.’
- ‘Thousands of families gathered to watch the Red Arrows perform astonishing aerobatics at breathtaking speed.’
- ‘A witness who was standing outside of his home near the accident site thought that the airplane was doing aerobatics.’
- ‘The helicopter also did a few daring aerobatics, including flying sideways and in reverse, before returning to base.’
- ‘Anyone who has ever flown aerobatics knows that it's a physically demanding activity.’
- ‘Roll rate is probably about 45 degrees per second, quick enough to satisfy most pilots who aren't into unlimited aerobatics.’
- ‘The airplane had a foldopen hatch, tandem seating, and sticks for pitch and roll, but wasn't rated for aerobatics.’
- ‘An experienced Skyray user can perform aerobatics, doing barrel rolls and slaloming through clouds.’
First World War: from aero- + a shortened form of acrobatics.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.