Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The technique of representing more distant objects as fainter and more blue.
- ‘The diminishing trees with blurring forms and fading colours showed the use of aerial perspective.’
- ‘The aerial perspective produces an image akin to a figurative topographical map or a complex architectural model.’
- ‘The Golden Temple itself is painted from an aerial perspective.’
- ‘The aerial perspective similarly has its vertical axis toward Mecca through the opera.’
- ‘Colour is also used as a form of aerial perspective to lead the eye further back into the painting, while still retaining its decorative functions.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.