Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for elephant bird
- ‘This tells us that aepyornis was definitely not a distance runner like the slender-legged ostrich.’
- ‘While Aepyornis was by no means as large and terrible as the Roc, it WAS the largest bird that ever lived.’
- ‘H.G. Wells wrote a disturbing short story called 'Aepyornis Island' in 1894.’
- ‘I wonder how long it is since these Æpyornises really lived.’
- ‘Aepyornis reached weights in excess of 400 kg and laid the largest eggs the world has ever seen.’
Mid 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek aipus high + ornis bird.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.