One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for elephant bird
- ‘This tells us that aepyornis was definitely not a distance runner like the slender-legged ostrich.’
- ‘While Aepyornis was by no means as large and terrible as the Roc, it WAS the largest bird that ever lived.’
- ‘H.G. Wells wrote a disturbing short story called 'Aepyornis Island' in 1894.’
- ‘Aepyornis reached weights in excess of 400 kg and laid the largest eggs the world has ever seen.’
- ‘I wonder how long it is since these Æpyornises really lived.’
Mid 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek aipus ‘high’ + ornis ‘bird’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.