Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A certificate stating that a university student is too ill to attend an examination.
- ‘He didn't look at all unwell, so if we get an aegrotat request I will be skeptical.’
- 1.1An examination pass awarded to a student having an aegrotat.
- ‘It includes such questions as what mark or class a student ought to be awarded or whether an aegrotat is justified.’
- ‘An aegrotat pass is considered if a student fails an examination through serious circumstances beyond their control.’
- ‘I was awarded aegrotats for the work I had done.’
- ‘For aegrotat consideration, you must see a registered medical doctor and the Health Centre on the day of the examination.’
Late 18th century: Latin, literally he is sick.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.