One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A certificate stating that a university student is too ill to attend an examination.
- ‘He didn't look at all unwell, so if we get an aegrotat request I will be skeptical.’
- 1.1 An examination pass awarded to a student having an aegrotat.
- ‘For aegrotat consideration, you must see a registered medical doctor and the Health Centre on the day of the examination.’
- ‘An aegrotat pass is considered if a student fails an examination through serious circumstances beyond their control.’
- ‘I was awarded aegrotats for the work I had done.’
- ‘It includes such questions as what mark or class a student ought to be awarded or whether an aegrotat is justified.’
Late 18th century: Latin, literally ‘he is sick’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.