Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Acting in a way that would be recommended; sensible; wise.‘you would be advised to check on increases to your pension’
wise, prudent, sensibleView synonyms
- ‘Residents would be advised to stay away from gathering places, such as sporting events.’
- ‘If you like flashy literate front men then it's advised to see this band.’
- ‘Taking vitamins and minerals in isolation is not advised, as they need to be combined to work synergistically.’
- ‘The patient would be advised not to use the drug unless no suitable alternative treatment option is available.’
- ‘The timid male would be advised to stand well back when a female threatened is on the rampage.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.