Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a course of action) to be recommended; sensible.‘it is advisable to carry one of the major credit cards’‘early booking is advisable’
wise, desirable, preferable, well, best, sensible, commonsensical, sound, prudent, proper, appropriate, apt, suitable, fitting, judicious, recommended, recommendable, suggested, expedient, politic, helpful, useful, effective, advantageous, beneficial, valuable, profitable, gainfulin one's interests, in one's best interestsView synonyms
- ‘Again, it's advisable to talk to other parents and to follow up recommendations.’
- ‘This may be advisable if you are likely to be carried away by the proceedings and bid over your upper limit.’
- ‘It is also not advisable to consolidate debts by repeatedly remortgaging.’
- ‘Art classes for the retired are now commencing in the Nursing home and booking is advisable.’
- ‘It is advisable to drink lots of water and losing weight helps a lot.’
- ‘I know also that wearing a helmet is not compulsory - but that it is advisable for obvious reasons.’
- ‘It may also be advisable to carry an emergency card or bracelet to alert others of the allergy.’
- ‘Would it be advisable to convert our savings into euros to avoid loss?’
- ‘But for aficionados of charmless architecture, it would be advisable to move fast.’
- ‘Advance booking is always advisable but you can of course always take a chance on the day itself.’
- ‘The courses at present are heavily booked so it is advisable to put your name down early.’
- ‘As our numbers are increasing it is advisable to book your time as early as possible during the week.’
- ‘In fact, it is advisable to be cautious and consult a doctor prior to departure.’
- ‘There are other questions raised about whether it is advisable to have government so close to the funding of the arts.’
- ‘Childcare will be provided but places are limited so early booking is advisable.’
- ‘Supplemental oxygen is not required to climb it, but good brakes in your car are advisable.’
- ‘As copies are selling very quickly it is advisable to purchase one without delay.’
- ‘It is not advisable to let young children out at night and they should always be supervised whenever possible.’
- ‘There are no booking arrangements, so it is advisable for patrons to come early and get seats.’
- ‘All those interested in taking part should note that early booking is advisable.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.