One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The willingness to take risks in business or politics; actions or attitudes regarded as reckless or potentially hazardous.
- ‘This sort of reckless intellectual adventurism is not surprising, coming as it does from someone who affected surprise that rising petrol prices have an effect on the economy.’
- ‘To make such a claim is nothing but reckless adventurism.’
- ‘We must concentrate on creating conditions to restrain militarism and military adventurism in the world.’
- ‘Instead, many countries have seen both opportunity and resources squandered on political adventurism, civil wars, misguided macroeconomic policies, and greed.’
- ‘These awkward facts, combined with a formidable military capability, go a long way towards explaining the current colonialist adventurism.’
- ‘Without doubt, his political adventurism had engaged the media.’
- ‘Rudyard Kipling coined the term, The Great Game, to describe one hundred and fifty years of intrigue, military adventurism, and espionage.’
- ‘His adventurism threatens to de-stabilize the entire region.’
- ‘All of this adds to the danger of an uncontrolled slide into political adventurism, military provocation and war between the two nuclear-armed powers.’
- ‘Its reckless adventurism could have resulted in a nuclear conflagration.’
- ‘Because he believes modern-day adventurism of this sort cannot work and is unnecessary.’
- ‘His departure has been welcomed by those investors both big and small who hope it'll bring an end to the company's corporate adventurism.’
- ‘Only in this manner can we hope to reduce the risks of adventurism and miscalculation in a world that retains many thousands of nuclear weapons.’
- ‘This is one good reason why nations should think twice before they try to justify their foreign adventurism as acts of ‘liberation.’’
- ‘However, the ‘unofficial’ ideological shift to glorifying military adventurism is very interesting.’
- ‘Do you want to be safe in your own country or do you want to waste precious lives and resources on military adventurism?’
- ‘There is widespread public concern about scientific adventurism with the human genome (the supposed code of life).’
- ‘The country is drifting dangerously towards aggressive military adventurism and the establishment of a repressive national-security state.’
- ‘Presidential adventurism will be at a minimum.’
- ‘They were successfully kept under the thumb, insofar as any lingering attraction to foreign adventurism was concerned.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.