One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A female adventurer.
social climber, status seeker, would-be, go-getter, self-seeker, adventurerView synonyms
- ‘The first film was dumb fun - a computer game-inspired take-off on the Indiana Jones series with Angelina Jolie bringing everyone's favorite PC adventuress, Lara Croft, to life.’
- ‘Fabre went on to attack women's clubs, claiming, to much applause, that they were composed of ‘adventuresses, wandering female knights, emancipated girls, and amazons'.’
- ‘Vogue editor, tastemaker, adventuress, she exploded with the style and joie de vivre that every gay man aspires to - or should.’
- ‘When evaluated from this perspective, it's easier to see her less as an adventuress and more as a dichotomy.’
- ‘It's instructive to see her as the aristocratic adventuress in the 18 th-century potboiler The Affair of the Necklace.’
- ‘No question, she is indomitable, a chronic adventurer - adventuress, if you wish.’
- ‘This is a quandary that never traps veteran adventuress Dervla Murphy, in a new edition of her epic 1983 trek through the Peruvian Andes with her small daughter and a mule.’
- ‘For the uninitiated, Charley's an Edwardian adventuress who stowed away on an airship, the R101, and was rescued by The Doctor just before it blew up in flames.’
- ‘It was hard to believe Lana had once thought of her as glamorous, even an adventuress.’
- ‘At least Prince Hektor always got what he wanted and the girl of his dreams fawned at his feet, despite her claims of being an independent, man-hating adventuress.’
- ‘Now you're a space-suited adventuress battling your way toward Earth.’
- ‘Fanny, she discovered, was a pioneer woman, a legendary dynamo and singular adventuress.’
- ‘In 1871 an English adventuress named Lucy Walker became the first woman to summit the mountain.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.