Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘Leafy shoots are borne adventitiously on the dorsal side of the long, creeping root.’
- ‘Even the sexual aspects of the story seem more integral to the whole and are not adventitiously added for a prurient effect.’
- ‘On the facts as we understand them, it was an offence adventitiously committed.’
- ‘That is, idiosyncratic behavior may develop adventitiously.’
- ‘When I thought about avoiding Adam, I just ran into him adventitiously.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.