Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A member of any of various Christian sects emphasizing belief in the imminent second coming of Christ.See also Seventh-Day Adventist
- ‘Seventh-Day Adventists believe that sabbath observance represents the ‘seal of God.’’
- ‘Over the years, these doctrines have been given more and more of an Evangelical spin by Adventists.’
- ‘Seventh-day Adventists support non-combatancy for its members who serve in the military.’
- ‘Decades later the island was visited by other white folk who discovered that all the natives had become Seventh-day Adventists.’
- ‘Since World War II, Protestant sects such as Evangelists, Adventists, and Baptists have competed with the Catholic Church for congregations.’
- ‘The other eight to ten percent was made up of smaller denominations including the Byzantine Catholics, Jews, Baptists, and Adventists.’
- ‘Leaders of four main Protestant communities, the Baptists, the Pentecostals, the Full Gospel Church and the Adventists, are planning a press conference to express their concerns later today.’
- ‘Very few Adventists and no Jehovah's Witnesses played an active role in communal life and decisions.’
- ‘At present, about 90 percent of the population are Catholics while the other 10 percent belong to Protestant faiths, the most important being Evangelists, Adventists, and Mormons.’
- ‘Numerous other denominations have since entered the field, including New Pentecostals, Adventists, and the New Apostolic Church.’
- ‘These examples include the Pentecostal Church, The Union of Baptist Churches and The Christian Adventist Church.’
- ‘Since the 1980s, Protestant religions have been attracting more followers, especially Evangelists and Adventists, and to a lesser degree, Mormons.’
- ‘Groups that promote nonsmoking as part of their religion, such as Mormons and Seventh-day Adventists, have much lower rates of lung cancer and other smoking-related cancers.’
- ‘Avoiding nicotine and red meat, as Adventists do, is known to be good for your health.’
- ‘Adventists and Mormons spiritualized their rules of healthful living.’
- ‘This chief sought out Adventists because they taught people to read and sing in English.’
- ‘The Adventists also reserve the right to halt funeral services or burials if the rules of conduct are breached by mourners.’
- ‘Are the Seventh day Adventists and the Quakers just influences, like the blues or country traditions sampled here?’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.