One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A nuclear reactor in which the coolant is carbon dioxide, with uranium oxide fuel clad in steel and using graphite as a moderator.
- ‘The cracks were spotted in graphite bricks in the cores of all the company's advanced gas-cooled reactors, or AGRs. Collectively, they provide the country with nearly one fifth of its electricity.’
- ‘The historic costs of decommissioning British Magnox and advanced gas-cooled reactors do not bear comparison with the costs of decommissioning modern plants.’
- ‘An advanced gas-cooled reactor on the site is also undergoing decommissioning.’
- ‘Oxide fuel used in advanced gas-cooled reactors and light-water reactors can be stored safely for longer periods of time.’
- ‘The nuclear plant comprises two advanced gas-cooled reactors providing steam at high pressure and temperature to two dedicated 660 MW steam turbine generators.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.