One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A catchphrase used as a patriotic slogan or motto in Australia.‘the coat of arms that Australian teams wear on their caps and blazers says “Advance Australia”’‘the festival carried a key theme of ‘Advance Australia’’
- ‘All the principal streets of the city were decorated with flags and flowers, while the old motto, "Advance, Australia!," seemed to span every corner.’
- ‘Let us cordially cry, Advance, Australia! and so treat her in her infancy that she shall remember us with grateful affection in the power and splendor of her maturity.’
- ‘It was built by John Petrie between 1886-89 and features twin pediments with heraldic shields and the words 'Advance Australia'.’
- ‘Embroidered on her tunic were 'Advance Australia' and 'Commerce', and she wore the Southern Cross on her left breast.’
- ‘The moral foundations for all his later activity were established in this pivotal article, a social blueprint to 'Advance Australia', his scheme for the future.’
- ‘A bedspread from the Sydney Exhibition had 'Advance Australia' carefully worked in it.’
- ‘The new patriotism's essentially a program that's driven by the marketing gurus; it's about the Advance Australia campaign, putting on an Advance Australia teeshirt or a hat, buying Australian.’
- ‘First a canopy of wreaths surmounted a gorgeous floral crown which overtopped a meadow coloured arch, on which the words Advance Australia appeared formed of brilliant orange coloured flowers.’
- ‘Gold abounds more profusely than ever and the universal watch-word seems to be 'Advance Australia'.’
- ‘Terry has been awarded the Advance Australia Award.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.