One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A catchphrase used as a patriotic slogan or motto in Australia.‘the coat of arms that Australian teams wear on their caps and blazers says “Advance Australia”’‘the festival carried a key theme of ‘Advance Australia’’
- ‘Gold abounds more profusely than ever and the universal watch-word seems to be 'Advance Australia'.’
- ‘It was built by John Petrie between 1886-89 and features twin pediments with heraldic shields and the words 'Advance Australia'.’
- ‘All the principal streets of the city were decorated with flags and flowers, while the old motto, "Advance, Australia!," seemed to span every corner.’
- ‘The moral foundations for all his later activity were established in this pivotal article, a social blueprint to 'Advance Australia', his scheme for the future.’
- ‘A bedspread from the Sydney Exhibition had 'Advance Australia' carefully worked in it.’
- ‘First a canopy of wreaths surmounted a gorgeous floral crown which overtopped a meadow coloured arch, on which the words Advance Australia appeared formed of brilliant orange coloured flowers.’
- ‘Let us cordially cry, Advance, Australia! and so treat her in her infancy that she shall remember us with grateful affection in the power and splendor of her maturity.’
- ‘The new patriotism's essentially a program that's driven by the marketing gurus; it's about the Advance Australia campaign, putting on an Advance Australia teeshirt or a hat, buying Australian.’
- ‘Terry has been awarded the Advance Australia Award.’
- ‘Embroidered on her tunic were 'Advance Australia' and 'Commerce', and she wore the Southern Cross on her left breast.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.